Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 3 – Writing a page a day (WAPAD) habit

Oh, boy.  Today was the first day that I didn’t feel like writing.  I’m on the train to work and I’m still a bit tired and I just wanted to read, instead.  But I told myself that it’s only a quarter page.  You can do it.  Sigh.  So, I did it.
I’m getting nervous, though.  If I’m feeling this challenged early on, how will I be on day 14 or day 22?  That’s the problem with some goals.  It’s easy to look at the target and get dismayed by how far the distance is. 
Keep focused on the task at hand.  For now, the commitment is a quarter page a day.  I can do that.  If there are challenges further down the road, I will address them when they come up.  It doesn’t make sense worrying about them now – I might hit my stride by that time and it will be a moot point.
I’m assuming that as my page count increases, I’ll be less likely to be able to write on the train.  Or at least write these blog entries on the train.  But, no need to worry about that yet, either.  It may just be that as my writing quota increases, I naturally modify my writing times.
In the ideal world, I would write in the morning before everyone is up.   But right now, I’m too tired to get up when the alarm goes off at 6:30.   I know, I know.  I need to go to bed earlier.  Maybe that will happen.  I used to be an early riser. 
However, instead of trying to get up earlier and write every day and maybe get to bed earlier and watch less TV and eat better and exercise and whatever else might be good for my overall writing, I’m focusing on one thing: writing a quarter page of script for four more days.  
The mind brings in all these what-ifs to stress you out.  Don’t be sidetracked.  Keep it simple.  Focus on the task.  And keep moving forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment