Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 1 – Writing a page a day habit

[This entry was written yesterday, but I only got it posted today.  :-(]
Today is the first day towards my goal of writing a full length play.  The first milestone on that journey is to develop the habit of writing a page a day of script.   Previously, when I have tried setting a goal of a page a day of writing, I have used my journal writing as a measurement of that “page”.  The problem is that I usually didn’t get the script written, but I could tell myself that I had met my writing goals.
To be playwright, you need to write plays or scripts.  So, the most important writing to get done is script writing.  To start small, I have made it my daily goal for this week to write a quarter page of script a day.
In case you’re wondering, yes, I have written my quarter page.  It is my MIT.  Most Important Task of the day.  Since it is done, I can focus on other things.  Ideally, I would have a list of MITs that I should be doing.  They should be ranked in order of priority and done in batches of three.
When I get to work, I will determine my work MITs for today.  I am going to go over all the things that need to get done between now and the end of the year.  Then I will prioritize them and put the top three on my MIT list.

No comments:

Post a Comment